Electronics and Communication engineering is one of the most popular engineering branches out there. Among the Indian engineering aspirants, this particular discipline has been a popular choice for quite some time.
With the evolution of the computer age, electronics & communication has transformed into a field that is inevitable, required by almost all the industries.
Electronics is now part of our everyday life, from the mobile phones to televisions, computers and even the high-end advanced satellites that are helping us to lead a smooth life.
Even electronics and communication engineering is the major driving force for the present day Information Technology revolution.
Electronics and Communication Engineering has also penetrated into other areas like healthcare, instrumentation, automation, remote sensing, signal processing etc.
So students pursuing electronics and communication engineering have a lot of scope in varied industries.
How is the career outlook for ECE students?
ECE students can develop an exciting career in industries like consumer electronics manufacturing organization, Telecommunication & IT industries, Health care equipment manufacturing, Mobile communication (2G,3G,4G), Internet technologies, Power Electronics, and other industries like steel, petroleum and chemical industry etc.
Graduates in Electronics Engineering also have lots of opportunities in Government and private companies in the areas of design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronics equipment and systems.
With the advent of latest technological innovations, new opportunities came into existence for electronics & communication engineers. The latest technologies include self-driving cars, autonomous drone logistics, robotics, automation in industries, smart energy systems etc.
But getting acquainted with these industries will not be easy as they demand engineers who are more hands-on with the latest technologies.
What are the salary prospects?
The job market for electronics and communication engineering is on demand and industries are looking for qualified engineers who can assist them on latest technologies. With recent technological advancements, the scope for the electronics engineers is on the rise.
However, according to payscale.com the average annual salary of these professional includes Rs. 312,408 per year. Electronics students with skills in robotics, automation technologies, renewable energies, Internet of Things (IoT), mechatronics engineering concepts add more value to their average pay scale.
The aim of students pursuing electronics engineering is to get a highly paid job, so improving skill sets will definitely impact their pay scale a lot.
What are the downsides in this career?
As it is one of the most widely preferred engineering branches among all, the number of students passing out from this branch is increasing every year. Students who don’t have the necessary practical skills and application knowledge will find it difficult to get recruited in core companies.
The job roles offered for ECE students will always be challenging and they might have to endure intense pressure and workload when recruited in core companies. Preferring job roles that they love to do will decrease this complicacy.
Having said that, the growth rate of electronics engineering is slower than other occupations. In spite of an increased demand for electronics, there is intense competition from foreign countries that produce cheap components and many engineering services & industries are moving to such countries for their electronics requirements, which in turn hinder the domestic employment.
What is the scope in overseas?
With the recent advancements in technologies, most of the industries are beginning to adopt robotics, automation technologies, smart energy systems, Internet of Things (IoT) into their process.
And a lot of these industries are established in Gulf countries, Germany, China, Canada etc. So students pursuing electronics & communication engineering have lot of job opportunities available, this is mainly because of the presence of various manufacturing firms outside India.
Electronics Engineers who are specialized in Control & Power Systems can find good opportunities in Japan, Germany, US & Korea. There is also a variety of job roles available in multi-disciplinary streams which an electronics engineer can take up.
What are the major technologies in which an ECE engineer can work on?
- Analog and Radio Frequency Circuits: Without these cell phones, Wi-Fi, television will cease to exist. A lot of industries are established to meet the consumer demands and in the process, they opened up lot of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
- Communication & Signal Processing: This particular technology finds its application in transmission, storage and analysis of information signals.
- Computer & Digital Systems: All the industries are able to advance technologically at a faster pace than before with the help of computers. These digital systems are everywhere from the smart watches to the mars rovers.
- Networking: With the boom on the internet, we are experiencing 3G, 4G services which help the organizations and industries to easily collaborate with people. There is a lot of scope for engineers who want to work in this technology.
- Computer vision & Image processing: These technologies are helping computers in the areas like medical, surveying, photogrammetry etc. For instance, now we have medical devices that can analyze data to not only display images but identify diseases too with the help of magneto-resonance imaging technology.
- Control systems & Robotics: With the advancement in the technologies lately more and more industries are adopting automation and robots into their operations to improve their efficiency. And a lot more industries are expected to adopt these technologies in the coming years.
- Remote Sensing: Communication via radio waves is essential for mobile devices, radios, and all the devices that are connected to the internet. From mapping to navigation, remote sensing plays vital role in various technologies.
- Nanotechnology: The more efficient solar cells, faster transistors, tracking chips and microscopic sensors that we see today are the products of nanotechnology. Lot of industries are adapting this technology to make their products smaller and more efficient.
- Sustainable Energy & Power systems: Now industries are investing lots of their money and time to develop more efficient solar cells, windmills, systems that can generate power from tides etc. This technology offers wide range of job opportunities for electronics engineers.
What are the skills that an ECE student needs to develop to improve job prospects?
If you are an ECE student, here are some of the skills and areas that you need to concentrate to improve your job prospects,
- Computer proficiency is a must these days; try to get acquainted with some of the industrial grade softwares.
- Develop your communication and interpersonal skills
- Develop more practical skills and get hands-on experience on theoretical concepts
- Get exposed to current industrial methodologies as much as possible
- Stay updated with the latest technologies by developing projects on them
- Do additional certified training programs to build your profile
- Take additional responsibilities in your college to showcase your managerial skills
- Develop your leadership and team working abilities
How can you prepare yourself for these opportunities?
So the scope for electronics engineers in the coming years is not going to come down, but what will be the most challenging criteria is the skill level of engineers that the industries expect. With more technological advancements, industries of now are demanding engineers who are more hands-on and can assist immediately in their process without needing to spend time & resource on training.
To improve your job prospects you need to gain more practical skills in addition to your curriculum. While it is normal that the colleges don't have the right infrastructure and platform to support you in learning advanced and trending technologies, you should be on the look out for other opportunities.
For this, the best way to get skilled is to do learning by doing projects. When you learn and build projects you will not only learn the technical concepts but also get acquainted with the technology and develop a better understanding of them. You can attend any hands-on workshops or do some project-based courses to kick-start your learning of advanced technologies.
This article was originally published here.